[TxMt] Re: svn commit hangs

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 15:04:43 UTC 2009

> On 24 Nov 2009, at 14:34, Rick DeNatale wrote:
>
>> I have a project which needs 1.9, and I use rvm to manage multiple
>> ruby implementations,  If I start mate from the shell I need to make
>> sure that I'm using the default ruby at launch or bad things happen
>> like ctrl-shift-v to do a syntax check on a ruby file hangs textmate.
>
> We do what we can to ensure our commands work with most builds of
> ruby, but e.g. this Snow Leopard issue is really out of our hands to
> fix — though that should not affect ⌃⇧V which I believe should
> work with 1.9.

Yes, I'm not sure what's up with the hang using 1.9

> That said, if you set PATH in TextMate’s shell variables preferences
> you won’t have to worry about the PATH active when you use
> ‘mate’ (starting with r1589 we ensure TM has the default PATH set
> there by default, so if you upgraded, it actually should “just
> work” now).

Great, I did just autoupdate yesterday.  Now when I run ctrl-shift-v
it says is is using 1.8.7 even though I ran mate from a shell set to
run Ruby 1.9.

>> And the flipside is that this means that I can't use things like the
>> rspec bundle to run tests inside textmate for 1.9 dependent code.
>
> You can additionally set PATH / TM_RUBY to your 1.9 version as a
> project specific variable for your project which require 1.9 —
> probably best to set TM_RUBY rather than PATH, adn ⌘R + ⌃⇧V will
> use that, but most other things in TM will be unaffected. Not sure if
> the RSpec bundle honers TM_RUBY, if not, it could probably be made to
> do that.

Mixed results here:

I set the project TM_RUBY variable to point to my ruby1.9 executable

I wrote a spec to see if the RSpec bundle runner is executing  1.9 which it is.

I can't run features with the Cucumber bundle under textmate  I get this:

Running: bash "2>&1
/Users/rick/fifthrail/relevance_legalpm/script/cucumber
/Users/rick/fifthrail/relevance_legalpm/features/login_by_name_or_emails.feature
--format=html"
bash: 2>&1 /Users/rick/fifthrail/relevance_legalpm/script/cucumber
/Users/rick/fifthrail/relevance_legalpm/features/login_by_name_or_emails.feature
--format=html: No such file or directory false

But that's probably a separate issue, since I get the same results if
I unset the project specific variable.

Of a bit more concern, with the project variable set to use 1.9,
ctrl-shift-v's pop-up says that it is using 1.8.7 to do the syntax
check, and 1.9 and 1.8 syntax is different.

But on the whole it's a step forward.

--
Rick DeNatale