[TxMt] Re: newbie subversion question

Thorsten Hamann textmate at thisisnotamerica.de
Fri Mar 27 20:45:38 UTC 2009

Lucy,

Lucy Buykx schrieb:
> Have been back and fine toothcombed the documentation on the TextMate
> website and come up with nothing more than "shift cmd A gets subversion
> menu up". Mind you the documentaiton for TextMate as a whole seems very
> thin to me so perhaps this is not unusual. Not your fault I know but I
> don't feel inclined to pay £50 for a software tool that isn't even
> documented.

so basically you are complaining that the documentation of a text editor
doesn't explain you the basics of every language and tool it supports?
Heh. Please don't look at the documentation of the Haskell and Erlang
bundles. :)

Yes, lots of people here use the subversion bundle. In fact, I'd guess
that it's around 80-90% of the people, and near 100% of the professional
programmers. But the difference is that they know how SVN works, and
probably they haven't learned it by complaining on a support mailing
list for a text editor, but instead just read up about SVN, the tool
they were trying to use.

But I don't want to be rude. Instead, I'll give you a link.
Incidentally, it's the first link which comes up if you Google "svn" and
"book".

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/

Once you have an idea of how Subversion works, you'll find that the
Subversion bundle of Textmate works perfectly as documented, and is
documented perfectly.

Now you can decide if you want to spend 48 € on the best text editor
around, but please don't base your decision on your non-understanding of
Subversion. It would be unfair to Alan, who has put a great deal of work
into a great tool.

You're welcome. I'll be here all day. ;)

Thorsten
--
Jesus saves. Buddha makes incremental backups.