[TxMt] Re: Texmate 2

Tue Jun 23 09:43:50 UTC 2009

On 23 Jun 2009, at 05:35, Elliot Anderson wrote:

> Those that want the new version could pay to get it when it's ready
> while those who don't would have to wait a little longer. The 'get it
> now' incentive would surely spur a few people into action.
>
> E.

Definite vote against this from me.

I understand that TM has a loyal following who are keen to help out
and repay Allan for his development work, but paying for your upgrade
will (I would imagine) be the exception rather than the rule, and you
shouldn't try and force people to do it if they don't want to.
Remember that there are plenty of people who could put the cost of an
upgrade to much better use in this economic climate, and they
shouldn't be penalised for not wanting to pay for an upgrade they are
entitled to for free.

I personally think that the free upgrade is one of the best selling
points of TextMate 2 and Allan should be shouting it from the rooftops
and making it as prominent as possible on the purchase page. If the
free upgrade option was hidden (or worse, not available) when I went
to upgrade, I most likely would not upgrade. I certainly won't pay for
it if I know it should be free, and I would feel cheated if I could
not easily access the free upgrade, for whatever reason.

Nigel