[TxMt] Re: Latex facilities

Peter Cowan cowan.pd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 05:21:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Alex Ross <tm-alex at rosiba.com> wrote:
> On Jan 20, 2009, at 6:41 AM, Michela wrote:
>
>> I'm new to TextMate for Latex (and actually I'm new to Mac!) so
>> excuse me if
>> my question is "stupid". I've been searching for an answer to my
>> question in
>> the net for a lot but I didn't find anything.
>> Before switching to TextMate I tried TexShop and I really like its
>> Latex
>> Panel (under the Window menu) because it helps you when you don't
>> remember a
>> mathematical symbol or something like that. My question is: does it
>> exist
>> something similar in TextMate? I like TextMate for the project
>> option and
>> the tab navigation but I miss the Latex panel and I can't prefer any
>> of the
>> 2 editors. What's your opinion?
>
> I'm sorry, but nothing like that exists for Textmate.  I suppose one
> could create something like that for TextMate, but no one has taken
> the time so far to do it.

There is no menu.  However it is worth noting that that there are a
number of snippets available for LaTeX.   For more information see
section 5.1.1 "Completing Commands and Environments" of the bundle
help.  Briefly this is used by typing a key defined in the
latex_config.plist and hitting ⌘⇧} for a command and ⌘⇧{ for the
environment.  Most of the keys are fairly obvious such as: a ⌘⇧} -->
\alpha or: sec ⌘⇧} --> \section.  These can be customized further by
selecting Edit Configuration File in the Latex bundle menu.

A note to someone with commit access there appears to be a
documentation bug on this.  In the above mentioned section the
sentence:

They are Insert Environment Based on Current Word, bound by default to
⌘{, and Insert Command Based on Current Word, bound by default to ⌃⌘}.

Should be,

They are Insert Environment Based on Current Word, bound by default to
⌘{, and Insert Command Based on Current Word, bound by default to ⌘}.

It would be even clearer if the ⇧ was included, but I understand that
to get { one needs to press ⇧.

HTH

Peter