[TxMt] Re: Some newbie questions . . .

Morten Liebach m at mongers.org
Wed Feb 25 20:15:42 UTC 2009

On Feb 25, 2009, at 21:07, Adi Sieker wrote:

> On 25.02.2009, at 14:19, Hans-Jörg Bibiko wrote:

>>> I found out how to type a ß but how do you type the rest öäüÖÄÜ?
>>
>> OPT+u for the diaeresis ¨ and then type aeiuoyAEIUOY etc.
>>

> Neat, I've been mulling this over. I still have some english-keyboard
> muscle memory.
> I started with an english layout for 5 years. So switching shouldn't
> be to hard.
> The main problem I have is that I work a lot on my customers
> computers, so I'd
> have to switch back and forth between english and german layout.
> Carrying an english keyboard is also not always an option, currently I
> work on
> thin clients and I can't even change the layout.

I've worked for years with mostly Danish keyboards, but using them
with US layouts most of the time, an then when I needed the Danish æ,
ø and å I'd just use the Alt-Shift Windows shortcut to toggle between
DK and US layouts. It can get a little confusing at times, but writing
code with lots of []{}'s makes 856% more sense on a US layout than a
Danish.

You can define a shortcut in Mac OS X to do the same.

Thankfully I only touch Mac and FreeBSD machines in my new job, it is
so much nicer. And I just use Option-<something> to type non-ascii
characters, it's easy to learn.

Regards
Morten Liebach

--