[TxMt] Re: Encoding output window to ISO-8859-1?

jdmuys at free.fr jdmuys at free.fr
Fri Feb 13 14:54:23 UTC 2009

----- Hans-Jörg Bibiko <bibiko at eva.mpg.de> a écrit :

> On 13.02.2009, at 15:21, jdmuys at free.fr wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I unsuccessfully searched the web site and the list archive, but I
> > may have missed something.
> >
> > I need to work for a client with humongous text files encoded in
> > ISO-8859-1, with diacritical characters.
> >
> > This is mostly OK, but I could not find a way to set the output
> > window that TextMate opens to ISO-8859-1 encoding. This is a PITA.
> > Léo Delibes
> > César Franck
> > Gabriel Fauré
> > Edgard Varèse
> > Jean Françaix
> > Henri Büsser
>
> Maybe I missed an issue here but if you open an ISO-8859-1 doc in TM
> (or maybe via File > Reopen with Encoding >) TM doesn't destroy that
> encoding. For saving you can choose "Save As" to assure that TM saves
> it as ISO-8859-1.
>
> An other option to convert ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 is to make usage of the
> UNIX tool 'iconv -f LATIN1 -t UTF-8 THE_FILE' which one can run as
> batch to convert all files in a dir.
>

> --Hans

Indeed, it seems you missed the issue. This is possibly because English is not my native language.

Stated as simply as I can: however it does it, my program *needs* to output text in ISO-8859-1 encoding, including diacritical characters. During the development and testing stages, I would like to be able to set the TextMate output window to ISO-8859-1 so that it displays my test data correctly. Is there a way to do that?

The small Ruby example I gave is for illustration purposes only. The text files I need to process are many gigabytes in size. I know about iconv quite well, but as I said, for performance reasons, it is NOT an option to convert them to UTF8, as the processed file need to be ISO-8859-1 as well.