[TxMt] Re: Encoding output window to ISO-8859-1?

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Fri Feb 13 14:35:36 UTC 2009

On 13.02.2009, at 15:21, jdmuys at free.fr wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I unsuccessfully searched the web site and the list archive, but I
> may have missed something.
>
> I need to work for a client with humongous text files encoded in
> ISO-8859-1, with diacritical characters.
>
> This is mostly OK, but I could not find a way to set the output
> window that TextMate opens to ISO-8859-1 encoding. This is a PITA.
> Léo Delibes
> César Franck
> Gabriel Fauré
> Edgard Varèse
> Jean Françaix
> Henri Büsser

Maybe I missed an issue here but if you open an ISO-8859-1 doc in TM
(or maybe via File > Reopen with Encoding >) TM doesn't destroy that
encoding. For saving you can choose "Save As" to assure that TM saves
it as ISO-8859-1.

An other option to convert ISO-8859-1 to UTF-8 is to make usage of the
UNIX tool 'iconv -f LATIN1 -t UTF-8 THE_FILE' which one can run as
batch to convert all files in a dir.

--Hans