[TxMt] Re: Speed of latex in TM vs. TexShop

Alex Ross tm-alex at rosiba.com
Thu Feb 5 23:07:50 UTC 2009

On Feb 5, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Mike007 wrote:

>> Christopher Brewster wrote:
>>> I am a passionate devotee to TM but I notice that latex compiles
>>> much
>>> faster on TexShop than in TM.
>>> Is there something I can do to improve the performance of TM?
>>>
>>> TM takes 4-6  seconds to compile and display on skim.
>>> TexShop takes 2-3 seconds.
>
> Christopher,
> Has there been any resolution to your TM/Latex problem? I am having
> the same
> speed issue, even with pdflatex as the engine and turning off spell
> checking
> (the latter solution was suggested in a different post).
>
> For what it's worth, I'm running 10.4.11 on a G4 iMac with 1.24Ghz
> and 768
> RAM.
>
> I'd appreciate some input. The slowness of TM making me crazy but I
> don't
> want to go back to TeXShop.

I think this is at least partly due to the fact that the compile
command is written in python, and it scans the source documents for
various reasons.  I got so sick of it, that I made my own command.  It
is on github so you can install it with “GetBundles”, or with git:

git clone git://github.com/alexross/latextra-tmbundle.git

Caveats are that this command is only compatible with Skim, and
probably isn't as configurable as the default LaTeX compile & view
command.