[TxMt] Re: A couple of thoughts from a TextMate newbie

Chris Rebert textmate at rebertia.com
Thu Apr 30 18:33:05 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Darren Brierton
<darren.brierton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, long-time Emacs user / new TextMate user here. I wanted to drop
> by and say "hi", say how much I am loving TextMate so far (I thought
> nothing would drag me away from Emacs), and discuss a couple of
> features that I miss.
>
> Firstly, I was on the whole a very happy user of Emacs, and an article
> I wrote describing my Emacs environment for XHTML/CSS/Javascript/PHP
> web development was even mentioned in the O'Reilly Emacs book. I'd
> tried TextMate a couple of years ago and not liked it, but I tried it
> again a few weeks ago and was blown away.
>
> However there are two things that I miss. I have done a Google search
> on the mailing list archives and couldn't see much discussion of
> either of these, but please appreciate that the mailing list archive
> is very large and I'm new here so I apologies in advance if I'm just
> raking over things that have been discussed to death.
>
> 1. Good parenthesis matching and highlighting
>
> I'm actually genuinely surprised at this. TexMate is very weak in this
> area. I should be able to put the cursor between say "})" and have the
> two closing parentheses highlighted in different colours and have
> their corresponding opening parenthese highlighted in matching colours.

It does have this sort of. If you move over a closing paren or
bracket, the corresponding opening punctuation is flashed for a
second.
So, the intelligence is there, but like Kevin said, TextMate doesn't
currently display it quite how you would prefer.

Cheers,
Chris
--
http://blog.rebertia.com