[TxMt] Ruby Bundle cmd-R doesn't find gems

Pito Salas rps at salas.com
Wed Apr 22 15:23:56 UTC 2009

I am having a new problem with a very simple thing that used to work:

>>> In TextMate, I have a test file test.rb

require 'rubygems'
require 'shoulda'

>>> After making sure that the textmate recognizes this as a Ruby source file, I do:

command-R

>>> I get this output:

LoadError: no such file to load — shoulda

method gem_original_require	in custom_require.rb at line 27
method require	in custom_require.rb at line 27
at top level	in untitled.rb at line 2
copy output
Program exited with code #1 after 0.68 seconds.

>> Now, I go to the shell and do:

ruby test.rb

>> And it works like a champ. Checking environment:

$  echo $TM_RUBY
/opt/local/bin/ruby
$ which ruby
/opt/local/bin/ruby

$ gem environment
RubyGems Environment:
  - RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.2
  - RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 72) [powerpc-darwin9]
  - INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
  - RUBY EXECUTABLE: /opt/local/bin/ruby
  - EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /opt/local/bin
  - RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
    - ruby
    - powerpc-darwin-9
  - GEM PATHS:
     - /opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
     - /Users/pitosalas/.gem/ruby/1.8
  - GEM CONFIGURATION:
     - :update_sources => true
     - :verbose => true
     - :benchmark => false
     - :backtrace => false
     - :bulk_threshold => 1000
     - :sources => ["http://gems.rubyforge.org/", "http://gems.github.com"]
  - REMOTE SOURCES:
     - http://gems.rubyforge.org/
     - http://gems.github.com

>> You can see I suspect something with environment variables. I have been using Textmate this way forever without a problem. I am now logging into a new account on the same computer. I even re-installed TextMate.

I am stumped. I hope someone sees what I am missing :)

Thanks,

Pito