[TxMt] Re: Language Definition Inheritance/Injection (Shoulda/Rails bundle)

Thu Apr 16 09:59:35 UTC 2009

On 13 Apr 2009, at 22:33, Gabe da Silveira wrote:

> [...]
> I solved this problem by adding:
>
> {       include = 'source.ruby.rails.shoulda'; },
>
> to those definitions within the Rails bundle.
>
> [...] This seems like it will make upgrading complicated since I
> don't imagine there is any kind of granularity with language updates.

There is a some, for example editing a repository rule will create a
delta with just the changes, but editing something in the root
patterns array does not produce good deltas. We could restructure the
Rails grammar so that it is a better fit for deltas if this edit is
common.

> Secondly, it feels wrong for the Rails bundle to define an include
> of a language that is descended from the Rails bundle itself [...]

It is not pure, no. But there is presently no way for new bundles to
extend existing grammars, so for some things, users will just have to
edit the grmmars.