[TxMt] Re: TextMate file browser over sshfs

Ale Muñoz bomberstudios at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 21:40:11 UTC 2009

Some ideas to improve performance:

- instead of mounting the remote filesystem, rsync the files
- you can then watch the local files for changes using a stakeout
script (check this post:
<http://pragmaticautomation.com/cgi-bin/pragauto.cgi/Monitor/StakingOutFileChanges.rdoc>
for a Ruby implementation of it)
- when a file is saved, rsync it back to the server

Even then, I find the idea of remote editing of files quite disturbing : )

I think a much better approach is to spend the time you'd invest
writing a tool like ropen in learning about rsync, svn / git / darcs /
bzr, and taking a look at deploying tools like capistrano or vlad
(they are not that hard to use, and once you experience the wonder
that is rolling back your changes on a server you'll never want to go
back to ssh-fs : )

Of course, that's just my .02. Feel free to ignore the fifth paragraph : )

--
Ale Muñoz
http://sofanaranja.com