[TxMt] Re: how can I make TextMate the default editor for text files on 10.5.6

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Sun Apr 5 22:51:30 UTC 2009

On Apr 5, 2009, at 8:40 AM, Bill Paxton wrote:
> On Apr 5, 2009, at 12:39 AM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> The more I read this, the more it is becoming massively clear, this
>> is
>> not a textmate issue at all.  You are on 10.5.6, which is known to
>> work, for what appears to be the better majority of users.
>
> So, just to confirm, you have no problem with double clicking
> extensionless files and getting them the open with tm?  If so,
> that's encouraging at least.

Correct.  I have no issue with empty extentions.  I also have the pref
set to set the tm resource to all files.  Get a resource editor and
look at the files, confirm they have the correct resource, you can
then fully rule out tm as being an issue.

>> At this point, I suggest you crete a new user account in OS X, login
>> to that account, and see if that solves it.
>
> Good idea.
>
> New user account -- but same machine, so same Applications folder.
>
> Here's what I did to check things.
>
> Open TM.  Create a new file using Save as.  Quit TM.
>
> Double click the new file.  Get this error:
>
> 	The document "newfile" could not be opened.
> 	Help Viewer cannot open files of this type.
>
> I removed TM from Applications, download a new copy, put that
> in Applications, tried again, and got the same error.

At this point, as much of a pain as it is, probably time for a clean
install, I would bet this problem is not limited to tm, but also to
other apps as well.

You may be able to get some hints in the console log as you try to
open files and it fails.  There is a preference somewhere that
controls all this, maybe killing it would help, but I forget which one
it is.