[TxMt] Re: TextMate and Objective-J

Tom Robinson tom at 280north.com
Fri Sep 19 07:52:44 UTC 2008

Hans, et al

I'm one of the core Objective-J / Cappuccino developers. I'm glad you
like it, and thanks for helping out.

We actually use $OBJJ_HOME in the Objective-J tools already. If you
install the Tools package it currently puts all the tools and
libraries in /usr/local/share/objj. This is the default used in case
$OBJJ_HOME isn't set. If you install the tools elsewhere, you can set
your $OBJJ_HOME to that location. We just didn't want to have to set
too many environment variables ($STEAM_BUILD is already required, it's
where frameworks, etc are built)

Anyway, I like the idea. We probably will be putting a copy of
Frameworks at $OBJJ_HOME/Frameworks and the template applications
somewhere in $OBJJ_HOME.

We're actually planning on adding some commands for generating
standard projects to the "steam" tool (an Objective-J specific build
tool, similar to xcodebuild). This would be similar to the "rails"
command with Ruby on Rails. Then the TM commands you're talking about
would simply call steam with whatever the syntax for a new app is.

Any thoughts?

Also, feel free to join us in #cappuccino on irc.freenode.net

-Tom