[TxMt] TextMate and Objective-J

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Fri Sep 19 06:46:21 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've just discovered Objective-J as a very very nice and powerful
programming environment.
Obj-J runs perfectly in TM's HTMLOutput (Tiger and Leopard) thus I
try to solve some issues with it.

Then I downloaded the "JavaScript Objective-J" bundle. I added a
first naïve "Run" command and a first help system for it.

But I want to discuss some details in beforehand.

I could imagine that Obj-J will be used by TM coders more and more in
the near future. A 'normal' Obj-J application always ships with 2MB
of Frameworks code. To prevent this I think it would be nice to do
the following.
If someone wants to use Obj-J apps inside of TM s/he should download
the starter kit or tools from
http://cappuccino.org/download/
and copy this folder to a proper destination (maybe also rename it).
Then s/he only have to set a shell variable OBJJ_HOME in '~/.profile'
like e.g.
export OBJJ_HOME="$HOME/Library/Objective-J"

Then my help system would work and a new app could have instead the
entire subfolder 'Frameworks' only a symbolic link like:
ln -s "$OBJJ_HOME/Frameworks" Frameworks

Then one could write commands:
New Obj-J Application
New Obj-J Application (embedded Frameworks)

to generate an app template with index.html, main.j, Frameworks
folder etc. with or without embedded Frameworks.

Are there any comments?
Should I upload my stuff I have to the Review trunk as "JavaScript
Objective-J"?
Is there someone who is using it yet?

Regards,

--Hans