[TxMt] Re: Latex-Bundle: Error by using "Insert label/citation based on current word"

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:48:24 UTC 2008

On Sep 11, 2008, at 5:41 PM, Jan Michael wrote:

> Many Thanks! But shouldn't this have worked without the symbolic link?

Yes and no. Frontends like Textmate don't go through the same
initialization process as the shell does, so they don't get to know
about the value of the PATH variable you see when you try a command
in the shell. So for instance you can try the following and it will
also work: Remove the symbolic link, close textmate, and on the
terminal do "open -a TextMate". This will start TM as a child of the
terminal, and hence inheriting the terminal's shell variables. It
will then know about your PATH setting, and should be able to find
tex just as you do from the terminal. But since TM is not run this
way typically, it doesn't know about that.

So given that we can't rely on the shell variables for locating the
tex installation, we rely on a series of heuristic checks. The first
is looking for /usr/texbin, which has been now accepted as the
location of the tex install by the mac community. By this I mean that
the MacTeX installation creates the necessary symbolic link there,
and other programs can rely on it being there for anyone installing
TeX via MacTeX. That is why things were working for you earlier. When
you did the migration though, none of the agents involved in the
migration process knew about the symlink, so it was not created.

Now, returning to the issue at hand, once this link is not found some
other things are tried. And I think was has changed in 10.5 is the
message reported by the shell command used to check for kpsewhich in
one of these steps. This command used to fail silently in 10.4, but
not in 10.5. At least this is my conjecture. It is usually not an
issue since for practically everyone the /usr/texbin part works
already, and we don't even have to go into the heuristics. Most
people who don't keep current with latex installs are probably also
not keeping current with OS versions, so those that could have seen
the problem if they moved to 10.5 are likely still in 10.4, and not
seeing the problem (phew, that was a complicated one).

So anyway, that is probably a longer answer than what you bargained
for, but there you have it.

> Cheers,
>
> 	Jan

Haris Skiadas