[TxMt] Re: Automatic vs. manual tabs

Rob McBroom textmate at skurfer.com
Tue Sep 9 18:51:21 UTC 2008

On 2008-Sep-9, at 11:13 AM, Steve King wrote:

> One situation never occurs in a browser but is very, very common in
> an editor: What happens when you have unsaved changes in the current
> file then open a new file in the same tab? Should the editor auto-
> save the current file? Discard changes? Ask the user? None of those
> approaches are very satisfying.

Exactly. The web is basically read-only, so replacing one page with
another in a window is fairly safe. Not so with local files.

The UI for "too many tabs to fit the window" is definitely
problematic, but that would be true no matter what method was used to
open those tabs, would it not? I prefer the current behavior for
*creating* tabs, but would like to see a better way to *manage* large
numbers of them.

It sounds like you want to alter a perfectly functional UI in the
hopes of avoiding a less-than-functional one somewhere else. That
seems backwards to me. Why not focus on the real problem so we don't
have to worry about how many tabs we end up with?

---
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>