[TxMt] Re: Automatic vs. manual tabs

Trevor Harmon trevor at vocaro.com
Tue Sep 9 18:44:29 UTC 2008

On Sep 9, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Steve King wrote:
> One situation never occurs in a browser but is very, very common in
> an editor: What happens when you have unsaved changes in the current
> file then open a new file in the same tab? Should the editor auto-
> save the current file? Discard changes? Ask the user? None of those
> approaches are very satisfying.

That's a good point, although I think a satisfying way to handle this
is simply to open a new tab if the current one is unsaved.

Even though I see now why some people prefer the always-a-new-tab
behavior, I still think there are legitimate reasons for manual tabs
as well. It would be nice if this were an option, then everyone could
just choose the setting they like best.
> I do think that TextMate needs a way to somehow scroll the tabs in a
> manner similar to Firefox. Not being able to see and re-arrange tabs
> to the right of the viewport is really annoying.

I was thinking it might be cool if TextMate had visual tabs like
OmniWeb or Shiira:

http://www.mathgamehouse.com/images/phillryu/shiira2full.png

But after testing the idea I've decided it just doesn't work with
text. Web pages with graphics can be distinguished at thumbnail size,
but source code files can't.

Trevor