[TxMt] Re: Latex bundle bug (was HTML-output-window just looks plain wrong)

Alex Ross tm-alex at rosiba.com
Wed Oct 8 23:07:04 UTC 2008

On Oct 8, 2008, at 9:39 PM, enas wrote:

> On 8 Oct 2008, at 18:20, Alex Ross wrote:
>
>> Sourcing .bash_profile is also the source of some bizarre bugs.
>> TextMate's Support folder has a builder.rb and this is in conflict
>> with a standard ruby library of the same name.  Another user had a
>> `bash` in his .profile which caused all textmate commands to call
>> bash
>> recursively until an exception occurred.  You can imagine how long it
>> took for us to figure THAT one out in ##textmate.
>
> I'm very well aware how much of a pain these things can get (though
> most of the times I'd tend to think it's the users making bad things
> in their .profiles, but still, it's to the system to adapt to the user
> and not the other way around).

But here we want to protect users from bad things they may have put in
their shells, and also avoid running code that is only meant to be
executed when logging in.  I agree that having to set up the PATH is
slightly annoying, but it's something that only needs to be done
once.  And probably it will be made easier in the future…

> I would suggest however that at some point that gets clearly stated,
> as it's quite disturbing to face that weird output.

Yes, the command should be made to show a more friendly error when it
can't find the correct path — but remember you are using prerelease
code so this kind of thing should be expected from time to time.
Thanks for catching the bug, btw. :)