[TxMt] Spaces at end of file name?

Eric Knapp eknapp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 19:52:32 UTC 2008

Hi, all.

I teach programming and a student really stumped me with this one. His
program was generating a file with a space at the end of the name,
like this: "test.txt ". I could not open this file with TextMate, only
with OpenOffice. TextMate shows the file in the project drawer but
when you click on it nothing happens. I finally figured it out by
going to a terminal window and displaying the directory with a ls -a.
It showed this up as "test.txt\ " and it started making sense. I could
then track down the bug in my student's code.

Is this a known thing? I searched the list archives but didn't see this.

Thanks,

-Eric