[TxMt] New LaTeX sectioning structure

Will Robertson wspr81 at gmail.com
Mon May 26 06:17:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

I've been playing around recently with developing a different
technique for sectioning in LaTeX; put simply, instead of writing

\section{}
\subsection{}
\subsection{}
\subsubsection{}

you write

\begin{sect}{}
\begin{sect}{}
\end{sect}
\begin{sect}{}
\begin{sect}{}
\end{sect}
\end{sect}
\end{sect}

I'm not 100% convinced that this is an easier way to write than
LaTeX's absolute method as opposed to this sort of relative one, but
I'm willing to give it a try for my thesis to see how it works out.

The advantages are that folding is more easily supported :) and that
it's much easier to move sections around without having to search/
replace all of the \\(sub){0,2}section commands.

But here's the thing...I know it would take you guys orders of
magnitude less time than it would take me to adjust the LaTeX bundle
to integrate this structure into it. (Starred sections look like
\begin{sect*}{} and optional ToC section titles are with \begin{sect}
[toctitle]{...}.)

All I'm really missing is the nice outlining features. Is this an easy
change to make to the bundle?

Many thanks,
Will Robertson