[TxMt] Blogging Bundle and posting dates

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Wed Mar 19 17:04:56 UTC 2008

On 19 Mar 2008, at 17:57, Punkin @ Mag3.14159 wrote:

> [...]
> After posting via TextMate, the post gets sent back down to TextMate
> with various meta-data filled in. Among this meta-data is the date
> field. This date is being offset back by 4 hours, although the
> actual post within WP has the correct time.

Some info about the problem to be found here: http://wiki.macromates.com/Blogging/WordPress

Basically TextMate assume all dates sent/received to/from server to be
UTC, since the standard does not carry time zone info.

> [...]
> I also downloaded another blogging client (MarsEdit), and attempted
> to re-create the problem there. Other Blogging Client displays the
> same date/time as is stored in WordPress; reposting the entry does
> not cause the date/time in Other Blogging Client to change.

That is only until you move your local machine to another time zone
and post from there, or even wait a few weeks, till we enter DST, and
fetch one of your current posts ;)

> Which leads me to suspect that the problem is somehow specific to
> TextMate or the Blogging Bundle.

Well, the problem is a bad standard. It will work if you set your
server to UTC, but then other blogging clients may fail, as they may
assume your server is in the same TZ as your local machine.

It’s not a real problem as long as you do not re-post with the wrong
date stamp. There is an extension added to WordPress that allows for
dates to be passed with TZ info, but the blogging bundle does not
support it.