[TxMt] unicode issue with QuickLook on Leopard

Vincent Noel vincent.noel at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 18:10:54 UTC 2008

Hello,

I've been seeing a weird issue with non-ASCII characters appearing
messed up when QuickLooking a utf-8 file saved from TextMate. Here is
a screenshot:
http://vnoel.files.wordpress.com/2008/06/ql-bug.png
The same problem appears when opening the file with TextEdit --
non-ASCII characters are messed up. Unix tools (file, cat) show the
file correctly. After digging around I found a thread [1] on the vim
mailing list that says it is related to extended attributes that are
set by TextEdit and that need to be present for QL to correctly
recognize the utf8 encoding.

If you set the extended attribute manually on the utf8 file, non-ASCII
characters appear fine in QL. This looks like a bug in QL which, given
its lack of publicity, is rarely triggered and probably due to
something specific to my setup. I'm not sure what to do next, apart
from applying 'xattr' to every text file I save with TextMate :-) Does
anyone has advice ?

I'm sorry if this issue has already been discussed previously on this
list or elsewhere, but I couldn't find any other reference using
Google.

Thanks !

[1] http://www.nabble.com/MacVim-file-encoding-and-Quicklook-td17289501.html

Cheers,