[TxMt] Writing a Book with TextMate

marios tmtxpstuff at consking.com
Fri Jun 6 19:54:36 UTC 2008

Fletcher T. Penney wrote:
> On 6/6/08, Christopher Brewster <C.Brewster at dcs.shef.ac.uk> wrote:
>> What markdown is better at is keeping text/html/pdf in sync if that is
>> important. But you will not get the same aesthetics (as far as I can make
>> out).
>>
>> Christopher

Very useful suggestions indeed.

> The reason I developed MultiMarkdown is to get the best of both
> worlds.  You can write in a low markup environment, and if you choose
> to publish via LaTeX, you reap the benefits of high quality output.
> You can also customize the LaTeX source to your liking.  I'll never
> write a document of any length/complexity in anything other than
> MultiMarkdown (or something like it) again.
>
> I also agree that OmniGraffle can create some high quality output - if
> you use pdf instead of jpg, you can import the pdf graphic into your
> LaTeX document so that your graphics maintain the high quality you
> obtain from LaTeX for the text and tables.  Just be sure to choose an
> appropriate font.

Good to know

> I had fantastic results using this approach to publish a friend's PhD
> thesis via Lulu.com (Scrivener/TextMate/MultiMarkdown/OmniGraffle and
> some custom XSLT's and perl scripts).  I think there were a few words
> that needed manual tweaking to correct where linebreaks were placed.
> Not bad out of 120 pages or so of automatic formatting.

I think finally that the combined Scrivener Multimarkdown Option is most
compelling.

What remains is just go ahead and try it out. It was interesting to see,
that paragraphs or text chunks are handled as single files in Scrivener,
which you can then switch around to your need.

( Of course we already knew, that TextMate  does all these things, but
the GUI approach is kind of neat.)

> Fletcher

Much thanks and regards, marios