[TxMt] Writing a Book with TextMate

Christopher Brewster C.Brewster at dcs.shef.ac.uk
Fri Jun 6 16:30:17 UTC 2008

> 1) Option Latex ( Christopher and Thomas)
>
> 	Advantages:
>
> 	* Can successfully handle footnoes, references and Indexes
> 	* Provides pre-publishing Layout options
>
> 	Disadvantages:
>
> 	* Learning Curve

I really think people make too much of this. If you use the basic
templates in TextMate you off to a flying start.
You only learn something when you need it and if a project is taking
time as a proportion of your effort it is not very great.

> 	* Markup can become complex and bulk up
I do not see this as an issue.

> 	* How about cross platform  compatability ? ( Is it possible to get
> stripped down textversions and such ?)

It is easy to export Latex to text. There are excellent converters to
HTML but is not an ideal route - I would always prefer PDF.
Cross platform no problem as latex works on Windows/Mac/Linux - hard
to see a problem here.

>   Further Questions:
>
> 	* How about Project handling ? ( My reference stuff is about 700 Mib.
> Keep in seperate Project ?)

Latex is perfect for very large projects, books, even multivolume works.

> 	* How about Images and Charts ( I also have some charts that are done
> with Omnigraffle Pro that I wanna update occasionally without loosing
> reference track to the original Omnigraffle files)

There is no better environment to handle images (Apple's Pages does
pretty well I have to say).
I did all my graphics for my PhD in Omnigraffle, export to jpg or png
and I could revise them whenever.

Finally if you ever need maths formulas, again latex cannot be beaten.

Finaly, finally latex is very beautiful. If you care for the
aesthetics of a book or document, nothing can compare with using a
well designed style.
This is something you would leave to an expert and there are dozens if
not hundreds of designs out there for books, PhDs, articles,
newsletters, etc.
I chose for my PhD a design by Andre Mede (www.mede.de) which was
beautiful and much complemented in the end.

What markdown is better at is keeping text/html/pdf in sync if that is
important. But you will not get the same aesthetics (as far as I can
make out).

Christopher