[TxMt] Writing a Book with TextMate

marios tmtxpstuff at consking.com
Fri Jun 6 15:52:18 UTC 2008

Fletcher T. Penney wrote:
> Obviously, I am biased, but this is the sort of thing I designed
> multimarkdown for.  It's also the sort of project I would consider
> using Scrivener to help organize.  My own workflow for a project like
> this would be to use Scrivener to organize sections, chapters, etc.
> You can optionally use an "Edit in TextMate" command (though I don't
> know offhand if that works in Leopard yet or not) so that you can edit
> the text in TM.
>
> <http://fletcherpenney.net/MultiMarkdown>
>
> Scrivener could then export the document as plain text.  If you did
> your writing using the MMD syntax, it could be converted to
> LaTeX->PDF.

Ok thanks for the replies
I compiled a small list to summarize the options at hand:

1) Option Latex ( Christopher and Thomas)

	Advantages:

	* Can successfully handle footnoes, references and Indexes
	* Provides pre-publishing Layout options

	Disadvantages:

	* Learning Curve
	* Markup can become complex and bulk up
	* How about cross platform  compatability ? ( Is it possible to get
stripped down textversions and such ?)

   Further Questions:

	* How about Project handling ? ( My reference stuff is about 700 Mib.
Keep in seperate Project ?)

	* How about Images and Charts ( I also have some charts that are done
with Omnigraffle Pro that I wanna update occasionally without loosing
reference track to the original Omnigraffle files)

2) Option Markdown ( Kevin)

   Advantages:

	* For Simplicity
	* Easy conversion to HTML TXT and PDF
	* For Layout PDF Versions Prince can be used

   Disadvantages:

	* Indexes , Footnotes and References can be used, however:
	* Brett Terpstra's HTML Index Bundle can be used.
	* If chapters are kept in single files, then this obviously makes a
conversion into other formats more complicated, need of Shell script
commands, etc.

   Questions:

3)  Option Scrivener in combination with Multimarkdown (Fletcher)

    Advantages:

	* Allows nonlinear organization and writing
	* Supports multimarkdown  LATEX txt and PDF Export
	* Both Import and Export with footnotes and Anotations are supported,
provided, certain requirements in Document structure are met

	quote:

	You want flexibility in your document - you don’t want to be tied into
a single document type. With MultiMarkdown you can convert your document
to XHTML, RTF, LaTeX, or Word .doc, to name a few. With the proper
knowledge, many other formats are possible.

	end quote

	* A Implementation Guide is available at the Scrivener formums here:
	  http://www.literatureandlatte.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=497
	* Template Support and multiple Layout options
	* Footnotes , Labels and refs conversion into markdown supported

	further Info:
	http://fletcherpenney.net/Using_MultiMarkdown_with_Scrivener

	Disadvantages:

	* Project maintenance might get a little out of scope

	NOTE: So this basically makes it possible to maintain your Book Project
Folder under one Roof as project siblings

	Also: Multimarkdown export option provides XHTML which makes parallel
Web publishing procedures and maintenance  of certain Book-chapters for
promotion easier

4) Further Markdown option (Markdown2Book Bundle by John Gruber based on
initial Scripts by Allan)

	http://lists.macromates.com/pipermail/textmate/2006-February/008160.html

	* Designed basically for documentations:

	quote:

	This bundle is for compiling a Documentation project made of several
Markdown files to HTML. It generates a TOC, a print version with all
chapters on one page and HTML files for each chapter. You can use
references to easily link between your pages.

	end quote

	( Haven't checked this out yet in detail)

If you have any additional suggestions, Ideas and also recommendations
how a Project should be structured in each of those cases, then please
let me know. I will then update my list and publish that in short on my
Blog.

regards, marios