[TxMt] Re: Tester wanted for the new bundle "GetBundles"

Hans-Jörg Bibiko bibiko at eva.mpg.de
Fri Jul 18 07:49:44 UTC 2008

On 18.07.2008, at 03:54, Thomas Aylott / subtleGradient wrote:

> Would you want us to submit updates to it directly or should we talk
> to you first?
If you have access to it, please go ahead. I'll see your commits.

> First thoughts from the screencast:
> Totally awesome!
> Where can I get that keystroke showing thing?
I'm using KeyCastr.app
http://www.macupdate.com/download.php/23072/keycastr_0.7.3.dmg

> The drawer should open from the bottom.
Which drawer?

> The logs should be stored in the standard logs folder ~/Library/Logs
Yes, I agree. But the log will be replace any time you invoke that
GetBundles command. That's why I thought it would fit better to store
it within the bundle.

> Your screencast is a bit washed out and everything seems very white.
White? Do yo mean the background? It was only to hide stuff at my
desktop ;)

> The layout of the window could use a bit of cleanup. (I'd be happy to
> submit alternate layout ideas)
Go ahead ;)

> 'user defined' Installation Target should default to the ~/Downloads
> folder or the Desktop
Yes, this a good point. One could add two items to the installation
target pop down menu:
Users Desktop and Users Download

This would mean one can avoid the File Chooser ;)

> Have you seen the Firefox 3 add-on window? I think that has a
> wonderful UI, but maybe not ideal for this. Thoughts?
Well, this is nice.
I tried to use a NSOutLineView to show the repositories in a tree-
like structure. That worked but I wasn't able to implement a live
search to that tree. That's why I went back to use tables instead.
But one could build a GUI à la Firefox Add-in, meaning one has at the
top buttons or a toolbar with:
All repositories, Macromates Bundles, Macromates Review, GitHub

If one clicks at a button the script would replace the table content
accordingly.

In addition to that one could also add buttons like:
Themes, Plugins, etc.

> (assuming it actually works ;) This is a HUGE step forward for the
> TextMate community!
Hopefully, if it works stable ;)

> On 18.07.2008, at 07:46, Michael Sheets wrote:
>> Just doing a quick glance over the bundle, I guess it's nice to
>> support Tiger but is worth adding the 4MB svn executable to do so?
>> Would make it smaller and avoid any versions issues to leave it out.

This is a good point. But you cannot expect that each user has svn
installed. I looked for a way to install a bundle without using svn
but I only found the way by downloading each single file separately.
github provides a tarball or zipball but the svn repositories don't.
Or is there a more tiny svn client available for free on the market?

Cheers,

--Hans