[TxMt] LaTeX - opening PDFs

Brad Miller bonelake at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 20:01:53 UTC 2008

On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:12 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On Jan 11, 2008, at 6:49 AM, Robin Houston wrote:
>
>> On 10/01/2008, Charilaos Skiadas <cskiadas at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Heh, I'm not messing with that command, it's in Pytrhon ;). I'll dig
>>> through it when I have a moment, but if someone with more python-foo
>>> can fix that quicker, that would be great.
>>
>> How about the attached patch then?

Thanks Robin,  I've got an extremely busy January so I don't have much
time to think about the Latex bundle except maybe weekends.  The patch
works fine for me and looking at all the changes they seem OK.  I'm
going to roll back in a different patch that I got for Texniscope that
I had not got around to committing before Haris applied yours.

> Since I cannot reproduce the problem here, I can't say if this works
> or not, but I submitted it and hope someone can tell us if it worked
> or not. I do keep getting those beeping sounds I told you about.
> Brad, can you think of anything in texMate.py that could cause the
> system to beep, but without showing anything in the console? It
> happens to me whenever the file is already open in the viewer, and I
> ask for a recompile. I do also get this error:

Haris,  I cannot reproduce the beeping, but I am on 10.5.1 and I'm
assuming that you are still on 10.4.x since you have the error with
the preferences.  Can you check in the Latex bundle Support/bin/
newplistlib.py   and make sure you are using at least r8620.  Allan
put in a fix that should avoid a strange bug with dates in the distant
past or distant future.  If you are using Leopard then the bundle uses
the binary plist reader that ships with Leopards version of Python.

Yesterday sometime you asked about why the Latex bundle writes
preferences to the com.macromates.textmate plist file.  The answer is
because thats how the example that Allan posted did it.  That is also
how the SQL bundle and others do it.  Personally I don't know enough
Objective C and/or interface builder foo to do it any other way.   I
could definitely see some advantage in using a separate plist file for
the bundle though since then our reading/parsing would not be affected
by any other preferences.

> There was a problem reading the preferences file, continuing with
> defaults
>
> But that shows up always, while the beeping is there only when the
> file is already open in say Skim.
>
> Also, focus doesn't seem to switch to Skim.
Again this works for me.    But it also worked for me without Robin's
patch to tell Skim to activate!  I hate applescript.

Brad