[TxMt] ExpanDrive for remote projects over SSH: snappy (at last)

David Clark david.clark at umb.edu
Fri Feb 29 15:35:02 UTC 2008

Hi,

Sorry if this is off-topic, but I have been beating my head against a brick
wall, and well, it hurts :)

I am in a work environment where all webdevelopment is on a shared ubuntu
box that most people access through smb (one single user, for the most part)
without any real problems.

A while ago I started using subversion for my stuff, mostly as an easy way
to track changes. I have read here that some people think its idiotic to
have the working directory on the server, but, well, I thought it was best.

I discoverd that smb does not  "play nice" with svn and got all kinds of
permiission problems when attempting to commit. So I started to use
macfuse/sshfs. On 10.4 it infrequenly corrupted files, but not often enough
to be  a deal breaker.

Since upgrading to 10.5 I have had problems where people edit files  via smb
and I don't  see the changes in the sshfs version, even after remount.

Soi I had high hopes when I saw this. I can mount the directory. When a drag
a dir on to textmate, I get the expected files,  but they all are blank on
opening.

anybody have any suggestions?

thanks,

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 12:01 PM, john muhl <lists at johnmuhl.com> wrote:

> Looks nice, as a mac user I've envied SFTPDrive for a while. I've just
> one question for you (or anyone willing to help). How do you keep
> TextMate from removing read access (except for the connected users) on
> every file saved? This makes quick editing of web-accessible files
> pretty time consuming from TM. I don't have this problem with TextMate+
> [MacFuse|NFS|AFP|WebDAV], just TextMate+ExpanDrive. I also don't have
> this problem with [Dashcode|TextEdit|Xcode]+ExpanDrive.
>
> thanks
> john
>

> On 2008/02/25, at 12:02, Jonathan Ragan-Kelley wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> >
> > As a long-time TextMate user I'm well aware of the issues working with
> > projects on remote filesystems -- I have been doing it day in and day
> > out for just over three years now, using different combinations of
> > tools. Like many of you, I've used Transmit for quick single-file
> > edits and MacFusion/sshfs for heavier remote work for the past year or
> > more, and they work well enough to be productive, but with well-known
> > frustrations (latency, connection resilience).
> >
> > Lately I'm using ExpanDrive (http://www.magnetk.com/expandrive), which
> > just launched officially. Same transport (SSH/SFTP), but with very
> > aggressive caching and intelligent connection management under the
> > hood. Together, they make it *way* snappier than sshfs on even
> > high-latency links, and allow your mounts to stay live on finicky or
> > intermittent connections, even as you sleep your laptop one place and
> > wake it hours later on an entirely different network.
> >
> > It's a from-scratch new filesystem, not just a GUI for sshfs (though
> > it does use the MacFUSE core), so its performance and stability are
> > quite unlike what you may be used to. Of particular note (and this was
> > a goal in development), the caching works well enough to largely
> > eliminate the TextMate project focus lag problems we're all so
> > familiar with by now, even over long-distance connections.
> >
> > (Full disclosure: I am tangentially connected with this project.)
> >
> > I think some of you will quite like it.
> > -jrk

dc
-----