[TxMt] Re: TextMate 2, I give it up

Phil Schumm pschumm at uchicago.edu
Wed Aug 6 22:52:35 UTC 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 3:48 PM, Adam Strzelecki wrote:
> IMHO announcing TM2 to be free upgrade for current users was wrong  
> decision that could discourage the author from working on  
> development.  Personally I'd love to pay for TM2 if some of the  
> discussed features/fixes we available to me, including:

I too would gladly pay for the next version, however I would do so  
whatever features it includes and whenever it becomes available.   
This is because I am a user who is 98% satisfied with TM as it is  
now, and for whom not having continued support would be *much* worse  
than not having new features.  Keep in mind, money may not be the  
issue here.  Allan may have good reasons for taking a long time with  
the development of TM2, such as technical issues that are simply  
taking a long time to resolve, design options that he needs time to  
live with before making a choice, etc.  Finally, it's even possible  
that he is taking an intentional break from TM development; if this  
is true, the last thing we want to do is reduce the chance that he  
decides to come back to it.  (Disclaimer: I do not know Allan, so  
these are merely guesses and may be completely off the mark.)

I can certainly sympathize with users who have been waiting for  
specific, critical features, and want to have some idea of when these  
might become available.  However, it's equally bad (if not worse) to  
be promised an upgrade containing specific features and then have  
those features dropped or have the upgrade arrive much later than  
promised (can anyone say Vista?).

In sum, I'm not trying to start an argument nor am I dismissing some  
of the points that have been made so far.  I'm simply reporting my  
own position which is (1) I *would* pay for an upgrade, and (2) I  
will continue to use TM regardless of when the upgrade becomes  

-- Phil

More information about the textmate mailing list