[TxMt] Re: TextMate 2, I give it up

Christopher Boerger astromac at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 6 13:19:35 UTC 2008

> Please, lets not start this again.
> Be happy with what you have, and dream of TM2 at night,
> but for the love of god, stop complaining in the mean time.

I think it's fair enough to ask. TextMate 2 has been talked about for
what, 1.5 -2 years now? There's rarely an update as to the progress
either, which is what I think is the main reason people ask "so
where's TextMate 2.0 at?" It's a closed-source commercial product
(which, for the record, is okee dokee by me) so, in my opinion, there
is more responsibility in communicating with your customers. Nobody
can just hop in and adopt the open-source "don't like it, then fix it"
approach. Why are people so defensive about talking about it? Perhaps
I missed a TextMate 2.0 mega-flame battle prior to subscribing to this
list.

Clearly TextMate is great. Clearly TextMate is an impressive version
1.x generation product. However, if you really think that TextMate is
so complete then I question if you have used any other text editor or
IDE or if you are just a fanboy. Basic features like split panes
windows and a decent undo system are missing. Because those features
are so basic it means their absence is felt nearly every time I use
TextMate. I won't get into what features from what editors are missing/
would be nice but I list those two only to underscore the point that
TextMate, while great, still has, at the very least, some basic
functionality missing. Basic functionality that will, we assume, be
addressed with TextMate 2.0. There isn't a day the goes by that I
don't lament the lack of a split pane window. Please note that this
does not imply I don't think TextMate doesn't have many great things
about it that other editors are missing. TextMate rocks.

Therefore, after a long, silent wait since its announcement and the
fact that there are still some glaring holes with the current release
I think it's fair to ask, "so where's 2.0 at?" It's not a complaint,
it's just a question and a reasonable one at that.