[TxMt] R, Sweave, markdown

Charilaos Skiadas cskiadas at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 23:40:21 UTC 2008

On Apr 29, 2008, at 9:59 AM, baptiste auguie wrote:

> Hi again,
>
> I'm not very familiar with Sweave, but I was under the impression
> that the principle of it –– actually, as a special case of noweb
> files ––, would allow one to define new drivers without worrying
> about the parsing. There is a LaTeX one, an HTML one, and I think
> an OpenOffice thing one.
> I think the function Rtangle would extract and execute the R chunks
> in any source file, it it then a matter of integrating the output
> to the Markdown syntax.
>
> Maybe this is actually more a question to ask on the R-mailing list.

It certainly is possible to use Sweave with something other than
LaTeX, but someone would have to write the driver. On the other hand,
writing in Markdown with <<...>> .... @ blocks for the R and figure
code should work just fine, you then just:
1) Run the file through MultiMarkdownToLaTeX to get a LaTeX file with
these blocks still there. The tricky part here is getting
MultimarkdownToLaTeX to not touch the <...>...@ blocks, though that
should be doable I think. Perhaps someone more familiar with the
script can tell us how to do that (I believe it would amount to
adding some XSLT transformations?)
2) Pass the resulting LaTeX file through the standard Sweave process,
to get a pdf
3) There's no step 3.

Of course, if you want something like an HTML output, that's another
story, though shouldn't be too bad. Perhaps one can have a look at
how the R help files (I believe they have a .Rd format) get converted
to HTML help pages.
Also it would be nice to have the equivalent of \Sexpr{...}. Probably
amounts to just another XSLT transformation.

Just some thoughts
Haris Skiadas
Hanover College