[TxMt] Re: Extreme slowness on files with long lines / no carriage returns

Alain O'Dea alain.odea at gmail.com
Sat Apr 26 17:07:29 UTC 2008

On 26-Apr-08, at 1:51 PM, Matt Neuburg wrote:
> On 4/25/08 10:33 PM, in article 8A9B62C0-9280-4236-9A3F-33F4538780E4 at gmail.com
> , "s.ross" <cwdinfo at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well... you could do this on your file:
>>
>> cat foo.xml | ruby -e 'puts STDIN.read.gsub(/\>\</, ">\n<")' | mate
>
> Kind of crude. Why wouldn't you just run the file thru "tidy"? m.
>
> --
> matt neuburg, phd = matt at tidbits.com, <http://www.tidbits.com/matt/>
> A fool + a tool + an autorelease pool = cool!
> One of the 2007 MacTech Top 25: <http://tinyurl.com/2rh4pf>
> AppleScript: the Definitive Guide - Second Edition!
> <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0596102119>

It is unfortunate that files lacking newlines behave so poorly in
TextMate. Vim also behaves poorly with files lacking newlines so we
are in good company :)

Matt's right, just bring up Terminal and type "man tidy" to get a
sense of what cleanups can be done prior to opening these compacted
files in TextMate. You can also do the same thing through a GUI in
OmniWeb's View Source window.