[TxMt] Extreme slowness on files with long lines / no carriage returns

Thomas Aylott - subtleGradient textmate at subtleGradient.com
Fri Apr 25 23:47:04 UTC 2008

On Apr 25, 2008, at 3:31 PM, Ian Kershaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've done a basic search on Google but can't find anything specific
> about a problem I'm having with Textmate, namely handling large
> textfiles or textfiles with long lines.
>
> It's driving me nuts. I'm having to deal with XML and HTML files
> which have been 'compacted' so there are no carriage returns / line
> feeds and I want to tidy them up in TextMate so I can make then
> human readable but TextMate just takes forever to load the files.
> TextPad on the PC has no problems, but I didn't switch to Mac for my
> Windows colleagues to point and laugh! :) Seems like a basic
> capability of text editor that TextMate just can't deal with.
>
> Had this been noted before? Is there a fix in the pipeline?
>
> Thanks,
> Ian.
>
> --
> Ian Kershaw

Yes, this is the oldest bug evar.
It will probly be fixed in TM2.
You can work around it by writing a super short ruby script to replace
"><" with ">\n<"

Yes, it is a shockingly embarrassing bug :[
	but there are hundreds of billions of awesome features that will make
all your windows buddies extremely defensive and secretly cry
themselves to sleep at night.