[TxMt] Throw us a bone?

Allan Odgaard throw-away-2 at macromates.com
Thu Apr 17 02:07:04 UTC 2008

On 13 Apr 2008, at 16:39, Jay Soffian wrote:

> I know, I know, 2.0 will be ready when it's ready. But can't you tease
> us just a little? For example, let's say you have a todo list for 2.0
> and you're working your way through it checking off items. Can you
> tell us what percentage of that list is complete? It wouldn't really
> give us any idea at all when the thing will be out

But would rather set myself up for more questions, or follow-up
questions like “how many percent are now done?” etc.

In retrospect I should have hired someone to continue working on 1.x
and then just not have mentioned 2.0 to anyone, cause the 2.0 project
has not been an “implement all features requested one by one”-
project¹, but rather a “based on the experience from the last years,
and all the time in the world, how should the architecture be”-project.

What I can say is that a) TM 2 is in a state where I use it myself and
b) I do somewhat stringently follow a to-do list to reach a beta
milestone, but that to-do list is long and while I plan to keep doing
TM 2 as my main work until there is a release, it may still take a
long long time.

¹ It started like that, but it was hard to keep the motivation when
the existing code base was holding back the things which were exciting
to me.