[TxMt] tm_interactive_input question

Luke Daley ld at ldaley.com
Thu Apr 10 23:22:47 UTC 2008

On 11/04/2008, at 12:50 AM, Hans-Joerg Bibiko wrote:

> OK. I changed the code of tm_interactive_input for it and in
> principal it works perfectly ;)
> It was really quite simple caused by the clean structured source code!

Thank Allan for that, he wouldn't let me stop if it was anything less :P

> Now I have an other problem.
>
> I call R spawned by using this
> R < in_pipe > out.txt
>
> Fine. But if R outputs a huge text chunk tm_interactive_input gives
> me a signal that R wants to read something, but there're still data
> in the pipe to out.txt. It takes time to flush the pipe out.txt to
> disk.
>
> Is there a way to ask the pipe whether it finished writing?

My guess is here that the output is too big for one call to write().
If this is the case then that is a problem, because the logic of when
an outputting session stops is external to anything that we control.
If this is indeed the case, you are better off trying to pursue it on
the R side.

LD.