[TxMt] Re: Textmate projects and subversion bundle

Thomas Aylott textmate at subtlegradient.com
Tue Oct 16 19:13:19 UTC 2007

On Oct 16, 2007, at 1:32 PM, Rick DeNatale wrote:
> I'm becoming more convinced that my original model is correct.  That
> there really aren't two kinds of PROJECTS, but that there are three
> different objects which can be in the project drawer:
>
> 1) File references
> 2) Folder references
> 3) Groups
>
> 1 and 2 are references to the corresponding things on the file system.
> 3 only exists inside TextMate.
>
> In experimenting with a project which I created by dragging a rails
> app directory icon from the finder to a new TextMate project drawer,
> I've noticed that I can drag additional file and folder references to
> the top-level of the project drawer, but not to a folder reference.
>
> I can also create groups in the top-level of the project drawer, and
> group file references in the top level, and put groups inside groups,
> but I can't put a file reference in a group, or a group in a folder
> reference.
>

> --
> Rick DeNatale
>
> My blog on Ruby
> http://talklikeaduck.denhaven2.com/

I think it might be rather telling that this isn't completely obvious
at first glance.
People shouldn't have to think about this stuff, it should "just work".

I'm not sure what exactly is going to be different in TM2 but I know
Allan has mentioned that this whole thing is going to be drastically
updated.

Maybe there will be a separation between groups, files and folders. I
can see it being sort of like how iTunes separates things.
LIBRARY would be your actual files & folders and then PLAYLISTS would
be your groups or smart groups or whatever.

Meh, I'm sure Allan is up to something.