[TxMt] Re: Textmate projects and subversion bundle

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 17:32:15 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Jacob Rus <jacobolus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Jeroen van der Ham wrote:
> > Rick DeNatale wrote:
> >> So is there a difference between:
> >>
> >> 1) In the finder, drag the icon of a folder to the textmate application icon
> >> and
> >> 2) In textmate File>New Project, then drag the icon of the same folder
> >> to the empty project drawer?
> >
> > Yes, there are two (small) differences:
> > - The first one will not allow you to add more folders, whereas the
> > second one will.
>
> Either way is perfectly happy to let you add more folders
>
> > - when closing the project, the  second one will ask you to save, the
> > first one will just close.
>
> You're right… but this is a minor difference indeed. :)

I'm becoming more convinced that my original model is correct.  That
there really aren't two kinds of PROJECTS, but that there are three
different objects which can be in the project drawer:

1) File references
2) Folder references
3) Groups

1 and 2 are references to the corresponding things on the file system.
3 only exists inside TextMate.

In experimenting with a project which I created by dragging a rails
app directory icon from the finder to a new TextMate project drawer,
I've noticed that I can drag additional file and folder references to
the top-level of the project drawer, but not to a folder reference.

I can also create groups in the top-level of the project drawer, and
group file references in the top level, and put groups inside groups,
but I can't put a file reference in a group, or a group in a folder
reference.

--
Rick DeNatale

My blog on Ruby