[TxMt] Context menu: Help me get my mind around this...

Neil Baylis neil.baylis at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 06:20:02 UTC 2007

Allan Odgaard-2 wrote:

> In that light, adding a command to “lookup references” does not make
> sense, because there will be 10+ different ways to do that, based on
> context.

Yes, I agree with you. I'm thinking of something much simpler. Just allow a
bundle to add an arbitrary item to the context menu. When the user selects
the item, it would trigger a command. If it's possible to trigger a command
from a keystroke, then it's possible to trigger the same command by
selecting a menu item. In the bundle editor, there's an 'Action:' dropdown
that has two choices: 'Key Equivalent' or 'Tab Trigger'. I'm just suggesting
that you put a third option in there: 'Context Menu Item'.

Of course, this is mainly of value to those of us who use a mouse with more
than one button. I have no idea what proportion of Textmate users that
amounts to, so maybe it's a moot point. (If I had to hit the keyboard to get
the context menu, I could just as well bind the action to a keystroke).