[TxMt] Context menu: Help me get my mind around this...

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Wed Oct 3 03:32:29 UTC 2007

On 03/10/2007, at 04:38, Neil Baylis wrote:

> [...]
> My disappointment was not about the build command per se, but rather
> about the fact that one cannot add _anything_ to the context menu.
> The items I would most want in the context menu would be looking up
> definitions and references when the cursor is over some symbol.

I just did an interview http://blog.johnjosephbachir.org/2007/10/01/interview-with-allan-odgaard-creator-of-textmate/

If you search for ‘toolbar’ and read my concerns here about adding
these, you’ll find that the same applies to context menus. I.e. TM is
meant to work with lots of different  kinds of text and mixing
different formats in the same file.

In that light, adding a command to “lookup references” does not make
sense, because there will be 10+ different ways to do that, based on
context. The problem is solved for key bindings in the form of scope
selectors and the disambiguation menu, but it is not yet solved for
creating a context aware visual UI (such as a palette, toolbar, or
context menu actions), at least not solved to my satisfaction.

This is a problem with folder references in 1.x: http://macromates.com/wiki/Troubleshooting/Beachball