[TxMt] Fwd: Latex Bundle Useability (and patch)

Peter Gerdes truepath at infiniteinjury.org
Sat Nov 17 21:15:47 UTC 2007

Sorry to take so long to reply, school stuff stole my attention for
awhile.

On Nov 5, 2007, at 6:16 AM, Brad Miller wrote:

> Thanks for the patch.  Can you tell me more about what you had in
> mind for this?  I can't really see how your patch helps, given that
> PyTexdoc already manually searches all the TEXMF paths and finds
> way more documentation than your kpsewhich package does.

This isn't to find more documentation but to find files that have
been \input into the current document.  It's quite possible that
there is a better way to do this but at least for me the program
would complain when my header had a line like

\input{notation.tex}

where this file wasn't in the same directory but kept in my local
texmf tree so I could include it in whatever program I wanted.

> As long as we are discussing this program, I've been thinking for
> some time now that I could speed up day to day use of this command
> drastically by pickling the dictionaries created when I manually
> crawl the latex hierarchy.  Given that most people don't update
> their tex installation all that frequently  I think this would be a
> real win.  The question becomes when to go back and recrawl?
> * After some number of days?
> * Provide a command to rebuild the index manually?
> * Look for some other marker in the tex heirarchy that indicates
> that LaTeX has been updated...  Is there a file or a kpse sort of
> command that would give me an installation last updated date?
>
> Other ideas or comments welcome...
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brad

Could you somehow bootstrap off the ls-R files?

Peter