[TxMt] Ctrl-Esc eater ... FOUND MINE!

Eric O'Brien ericob at possibilityengine.com
Tue Nov 13 08:03:41 UTC 2007

Yeah!

Shortly after I wrote the note below, I notice that one of my
favorite utility gadgets was no longer running (who knows why).

Later, I pondered... Gee, could it be THAT that has been eating my
homework... er, eating my Crtl-Esc keystrokes??

The utility in question is "X-Assist" <http://members.ozemail.com.au/
~pli/x-assist/>.  Free.  Last updated, apparently, in 2003 (!)  Among
other things, it re-creates the "Application Menu" found at the far
right end of the menubar under OS 9.

I LOVE IT!

ALSO, it allows you to toggle what happens when you click on any
window of an application.  In OS 9, clicking on any window of an
application would bring ALL windows of the application to the front.
In OSX, only the particular window you click will come to the front.
All very nice, but X-Assist also provide a handy keystroke to toggle
between these behaviors.  And the keystroke is... Guess what?

CONTROL + ESCAPE !

There is very little documentation with the program, but in "X-Assist
Preferences," under "OS9 Window Behavior" is an option "Enable Smart
Windows by Default" and below that "Enable Control-ESC."   [I believe
"Smart Windows" behavior may mean "OS9 behavior"]

If you have X-Assist running and you press the keys Ctrl+Esc, a
checkbox will appear (or disappear) next to the X-Assist menu item
"Toggle Windows Mode."

And indeed the window behavior changes.

But if you weren't specifically looking for this, it would certainly
appear that NOTHING had happened when your pressed Control + Esc.

HAH!  Here is the dog that has been eating my homework!!  UN check
"Enable Control+Esc" then restart (or maybe log off/on is sufficient,
I didn't check) and the keystroke again works as advertised in
TextMate.  Wheee!

This discovery solved my problem/mystery, but it leaves open the
problem of determining what application consumed (ate) a particular
keystroke.  I would have been done with this MONTHS ago, if only
there existed some sort of OS tool I could have run that might have
left a note in a log to the effect of "Control + Escape: X-Assist
accepted and consumed this keystroke."

BAH!

eo