[TxMt] XMLMate plug-in broken as of TextMate 1.5.7?

Rob Foxworthington robertfx at gmail.com
Fri Nov 2 07:15:49 UTC 2007

Todd, thanks for the update! -- Great idea to add a default for making
the palette non-floating, very cool for smallish laptop screens. :)

I tried the new XMLMate 1.4.2 on two different machines (both Intel
with TextMate 1.5.7) and after some testing, it seems that XMLMate
doesn't like FileVault:

  - Mac #1: 10.5 and no FileVault => all is good!
  - Mac #2: 10.4.10 & FileVault enabled => the following happens...

If the FileVault'ed user logs in and launches TextMate, the XMLMate
entry doesn't show up in TextMate's Window menu. Instead, upon
launching TextMate, the following is written to the Console:

  TextMate[357] *** -[NSBundle load]: Error loading code          >>
      /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/    >>
      XMLMate.tmplugin/Contents/MacOS/XMLMate for bundle /Users/  >>
      xxx/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PlugIns/           >>
      XMLMate.tmplugin, error code 4 (link edit error code 4,     >>
      error number 0 (Symbol not found: _NSRangeException         >>
    Referenced from: /Users/xxx/Library/Application Support/      >>
      TextMate/PlugIns/XMLMate.tmplugin/Contents/MacOS/XMLMate    >>
    Expected in: /System/Library/Frameworks/                      >>
      CoreFoundation.framework/Versions/A/CoreFoundation
  ))
  TextMate[357] instance XMLMate plug-in has no principal class

The above seems to happen for all FileVault'ed users, no matter where
XMLMate lives. I tried putting it in these locations:

  - ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/PluginIns/XMLMate.tmplugin
  - /Library/Application Support/TextMate/PluginIns/XMLMate.tmplugin

Not sure if this helps, but with pre-1.5.7 TextMate, I don't remember
any FileVault-related issues with TextMate itself or XMLMate.

Btw, thanks again for XMLMate... offline validation was what I missed
most after switching over to TextMate from another editor. You can't
image how happy I was when I discovered XMLMate. :)