[TxMt] Re: Textmate for remote files

Rick Gigger rick at alpinenetworking.com
Thu May 31 21:43:39 UTC 2007

Yann B wrote:

>> I too am a huge (unfortunate) fan of working on remote files...
>>
>> This topic has been discussed at great length.  Since it is apparent none
>>
>> of the existing solutions work nicely and as elegantly as working on
>> local
>>
>> code we all have come up with less than ideal solutions for solving this
>>
>> problem.  I for example use RBrowser because I like that - but again
>> it is
>>
>> less than perfect.  So.. We need a better solution.  Writing down the
>>
>> short list of requirements
>>
>>         - Tie to Textmate - very closely
>>
>>         - Allow me to easily create a project out of remote files
>>
>>         - Allow me to add remote files
>>
>>         - Allow me to search those remote files
>>
>>         - Save the file back
>>
>>         - Connect via ssh
>>
>>         - Should be able to routinely (background) poll the remote system
>>
>> and determine the status of the file.  This should be able to be turned
>>
>> off or time adjusted based on user needs.  I wouldn't need this per se.
>>
>>         - Should have an integrated browser mechanism which 1) gets on a
>>
>> remote system (ssh) 2) allows you to traverse a remote file system
>>
>>         - Might want to be able to bind a command to a save ( svn
>> commit )
>>
>> feature
>>
>>         - Might want to be able to bind a command to the file status ( p4
>>
>> fstat ) feature
>>

>> OK what do we need to add shorten or comment on??  Perhaps the
>> cyberduck /
>>
>> rbrowser / macfuse / Olrik  folks are listening.  I think David Olrik's
>>
>> solution is a decent start but needs a bit more polishing.  A better
>>
>> solution can't be far off..
>>

>> Thoughts??
>>

> At this point (unless TextMate 2.0 addresses the issue ;) I think
> MacFuse pretty much solves everything, so the single one change that I
> would like to see in textmate is a mechanism to stop and/or set
> intervals on the project directory scanning routine. I have no idea what
> that would entail or if it's even feasible, so forgive me Allan if what
> I'm saying is ludicrous... ;) That single change would make MacFuse
> usable on projects that have more than 5 files... and solve
> everything... no?

I agree that would be SUCH nice feature.  Obviously I don't know how it
works, but couldn't you just take the code that causes a directory scan
on focus and disable it.  Then worst case have a menu command to refresh
it?  Also couldn't you get notifications directly from the file system
when something changes, just like spotlight does?  What is the point of
the full directory scan?  There must be some reason that it is the way
it is, but it is very strange to me, and is somewhat of a black eye on
what is other wise one of the best pieces of software I've ever used.