[TxMt] Unicode Documents in LaTeX

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Fri May 18 15:27:28 UTC 2007

On May 18, 2007, at 11:13 AM, Constantinos Neophytou ♎ wrote:

> On May 17, 2007, at 3:22 AM, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> That indeed seems to do it for the file that Constantinos is
>> working on, once you add the babel stuff for greek. So this
>> preamble would do it (notice the greek option in the documentclass):
>>
>> \documentclass[a4paper,12pt,greek]{report}
>> % UTF-8 stuff
>> \usepackage[notipa]{ucs}
>> \usepackage[utf8x]{inputenc}
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage{textcomp}
>> \usepackage{babel}
>
> Indeed, this worked. I have not been able to get xetex to work with
> this document, but I prefer this methodology. Thanks a lot! Now the
> only problems I have are definitely latex-only issues... The one
> that confuses me and I have no idea how to approach is that the
> (very) few english characters I have in the document (for example
> in tables as variables) get transliterated into greek characters...
> is there any prefix I can use to make these characters appear as-is?

Add the word "english" in your list of languages:

\documentclass[a4paper,12pt,greek, english]{report}

And then:

\selectlanguage{english}
Hi there!
\selectlanguage{greek}

You can even mix more languages if you want ;). The corresponding
chapter of the second volume of the LaTeX companion has a lot more
info on this, also the babel package documentation probably has a lot
more information than you would ever need:

ftp://tug.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/required/babel/babel.pdf

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College