[TxMt] Shortcut for replace in selection

Charilaos Skiadas skiadas at hanover.edu
Tue May 8 23:29:56 UTC 2007

On May 8, 2007, at 5:19 PM, Steve King wrote:

> On Mon, 7 May 2007, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:
>
>> On May 7, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Pedro Melo wrote:
>>
>>> the most common search & replace I do is "Replace in Selection".
>>> I can do everything with the keyboard, including switching RegExp
>>> on and off, but I need to use the Alt/option key to switch to In
>>> Selection and the mouse to do it.
>>> I was wondering, is there anyway to access those buttons with the
>>> keyboard?
>> Unless I've misunderstood you, Shift-Control-Cmd-F would do it.
>
> I don't know about Pedro, but the reason that doesn't work for me
> is that the Shift-Control-Cmd-F command doesn't open the Find
> dialog.  It just executes the last find/replace operation on the
> selection.  So you have to open the Find dialog (Cmd-F), enter the
> search/replace terms, close the dialog (Esc), then execute it
> (Shift-Control-Cmd-F). To me, that's much more awkward than just
> reaching for the mouse.

No you don't have to close the dialog, just type shift-control-cmd-F
with the dialog window open. It is true it will not open the Find
dialog, but that's just one more keystroke, certainly better than
other alternatives.

Btw, I prefer to use cmd-W to close the find window, easier for me
than esc. But that's neither here nor there ;).

> This may help Pedro, though: You can tab through the controls in
> the Find dialog, including the buttons.  So open the dialog, enter
> the "find" term, tab, enter the "replace" term, tab five more times
> to highlight the "Replace All" button, press option to change it to
> "In Selection", and finally hit space to press the button.  Still a
> pain in the backside, but at least it's doable.
>
> --
> Steve King, <steve at narbat.com>

Haris Skiadas
Hanover College