[TxMt] Shortcut for replace in selection

Steve King steve at narbat.com
Tue May 8 21:19:31 UTC 2007

On Mon, 7 May 2007, Charilaos Skiadas wrote:

> On May 7, 2007, at 9:21 AM, Pedro Melo wrote:
>
>> the most common search & replace I do is "Replace in Selection". I can do
>> everything with the keyboard, including switching RegExp on and off, but I
>> need to use the Alt/option key to switch to In Selection and the mouse to
>> do it.
>>
>> I was wondering, is there anyway to access those buttons with the keyboard?
>>
> Unless I've misunderstood you, Shift-Control-Cmd-F would do it.

I don't know about Pedro, but the reason that doesn't work for me is that
the Shift-Control-Cmd-F command doesn't open the Find dialog.  It just
executes the last find/replace operation on the selection.  So you have to
open the Find dialog (Cmd-F), enter the search/replace terms, close the
dialog (Esc), then execute it (Shift-Control-Cmd-F). To me, that's much
more awkward than just reaching for the mouse.

This may help Pedro, though: You can tab through the controls in the Find
dialog, including the buttons.  So open the dialog, enter the "find" term,
tab, enter the "replace" term, tab five more times to highlight the
"Replace All" button, press option to change it to "In Selection", and
finally hit space to press the button.  Still a pain in the backside, but
at least it's doable.

--
Steve King, <steve at narbat.com>