[TxMt] XCode - Clickable error messages

Chris Thomas chris at cjack.com
Thu May 3 04:44:54 UTC 2007

On May 2, 2007, at 10:46 PM, Allan Odgaard wrote:

> On 5. Apr 2007, at 18:54, Gerd Knops wrote:
>
>> On Apr 5, 2007, at 12:26 AM, Allan Odgaard wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Related to this, I have an ASSERT() macro which aborts() and does
>>> a stack dump from the place where it aborts, this stack dump has
>>> files and line numbers, and I’ve been pondering making that into
>>> clickable links -- the format though is not the standard:
>>
>> I have done just that, using a small perl postprocessor parsing the
>> output from the run_xcodebuild.sh, looking for patterns and
>> replacing them with txmt links. It is kind of ugly, my current
>> project has source files divided into folders so I devised a small
>> search routine that descends from TM_PROJECT_DIRECTORY to find the
>> source file (ignoring _darcs/.svn repositories). Works fairly well,
>> but just to ugly and specialized to my environment to share.
>>
>> Ideally we'd come up with a standard pattern for error messages,
>> and add that functionality into the xcode stuff. That way anyone
>> could generate clickable links by just formatting log or error
>> messages in a certain way.
>
> Returning to this subject… the way we deal with it in ScriptMate is
> by setting a TM_FD variable for the process we launch. This process
> can then write HTML to that file descriptor, which will be shown as-
> is (i.e. interpreted) in the HTML output window.

It's an interesting idea. High-bandwidth logging. What if the HTML
from the app is corrupt, though? Could screw up rendering, and there's
no way to isolate bad HTML within a larger page context. Could do
simple validation (checking for correct node nesting), I suppose.

> This does put a higher burden on the program which wish to have
> clickable errors, OTOH it allows for nicer formatting of the output
> (which is often possible when we’re dealing with stack dumps).

If you have control over the format of the stack trace, why not make

Chris