[TxMt] ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles vs. /Library/...

Allan Odgaard throw-away-1 at macromates.com
Sat Mar 31 15:29:39 UTC 2007

On 31. Mar 2007, at 01:31, Daryl Spitzer wrote:

> That makes sense.  I'll try that.  Thanks.
>
> Should someone update the wiki to remove the contradiction between
> "You should start by checking out the latest version of the bundle you
> want to improve into ~/Library/Application Support/TextMate/Bundles."
> and "Normally it is not recommended that you checkout bundles to the
> above location..."?

Here is what the writings are supposed to convey:

In the Manual
=============

You should not checkout to ~/Library because:
  a) you’ll likely get merge conflicts if you modify an item and this
one is later updated
  b) you can’t easily remove the full checkout (because it is
intermixed with your stuff) if placed in ~/Library

Contributing

Here you do not want delta files, thus the bundle you want to edit
must seem as it is in ~/Library, either by checking it out directly
to ~/Library or creating a symbolic link -- so you should checkout
the bundle (as the manual says), but *unlike* the manual, which says
you should not do it to ~/Library, it is perfectly fine to checkout
to ~/Library (alternatively create the symbolic link from ~/Library
to where you checked out the bundle, i.e. /Library).

Did that make it clearer? The text on the wiki is correct, but maybe
it is not clear. So please do feel free to clarify it.