[TxMt] Open Document in Running Browsers/Refresh in Firefox

Henrik Nyh henrik at nyh.se
Sun Mar 25 15:56:25 UTC 2007

Nathan Koch wrote:
> I've found this topic a few times in the archives, but never came up
> with a definitive answer.
>
> I'm using Textmate for basic XHTML/CSS/JavaScript editing and while
> Camino and Safari happily pop right up when I choose "Open Document in
> Running Browser(s)" and Refresh when I pick "Refresh Running Browser(s)"
> but Firefox responds a bit differently.
>
> It doesn't respond at all to "Open Document in Running Browser(s)" and
> Refresh Running Browser(s)" just opens a new, empty, window or tab.
>
> It's a bit frustrating as Firefox is my browser of choice for working on
> sites, thanks of course to the Web Development plugin among others.
>
> Any advice?

Firefox isn't very scriptable. The command tries to make it reload in
two ways, both of them a bit fragile.

If System Preferences > Universal access > "Enable access for assistive
devices" is activated, it switches to Firefox and fakes pressing ⌘R.

If access for assistive devices is not activated, it instead tells
Firefox to open "JavaScript:window.location.reload();". That fails if
Firefox is configured to open pages in new tabs.

So the solution is to enable access assistive devices, or change your
Firefox tab settings.